Saturday, May 14, 2022

A Love Letter to My Mother, MOMBetty J. Tilman.

Photo,TBT 1971 Shadyside, Pittsburgh, PA...

 A Love Letter to My Mother, MOMBetty J. Tilman. 

MOM, I feel so privileged to have you as a Mother and to have journeyed with you in this lifetime. Looking back on this time on Earth, my life has been one of learning, adventure and more Joy than I thought imaginable.  

From the Dr. Seuss days of Green Eggs and Ham and the rhyming poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar to my rebellious teenage years where I sought solace in everything "Black" from  Ebony and Jet Magazine, the poetry of Langston Hughes and Sojourner Truth, the writing and filmmaking of Gordon Parks and the music of Roberta Flack,  James Brown, Grace Jones, Ashford and Simpson--- to my rocky  mistakes and disillusionment of young adulthood---You Exposed Me to the Best Life Had to Offer!  

Sometimes I was fearful.   You pushed and pushed and told me that I had a right to walk any path I choose in the World.   So often I felt that I was not good enough and unworthy of these great gifts.  People whispered behind your back and made fun of me when I articulated with my extensive vocabulary.   They said I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  

Looking back, it was funny how some of the relatives and community associates or so called friends looked for ways to undermine your authority and convince me to go right when I should have gone left.  

What I thought I wanted was to be "normal".  I didn't understand that being different and unique was a Great Gift.  Though I tried to run away from all you had taught me, it was so imprinted in my mind and my heart and my Soul that the further I ran, the closer I came to it.     

I Thank You for a first class education, for the square dancing and swimming at the YWCA, ballet and drama at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, camp in Maine at Blueberry Cove and studying musical instruments like the violin and recorder.  I never did master either but at least I love music!  

I've become a person who loves people of different cultures.  Travel is like eating chocolate and I honor all Faith traditions and continue to explore the Divine Essence of MotherFatherG-D through Love. 

I look at myself now and know that I am a product of Your Magnificent Efforts!    Thank You for All You have done for me.  Your Goodness inspires me.  Your toughness helped me learn how to survive in a World that would say "Who do you think You Are??",  Instead of "How Can I Help?".  

I Could Go On Forever ….Thank You. Thank You. Thank YOU!  

I Love YOU Into Eternity 
MOMBetty J. Tilman!

I Honor YOU and All MOTHERS EVERYDAY! 

Love, Melony 🌍
aka Miss Mellie Rainbow 🎊

Peace Is Possible through Compassion, Cooperation, Courage, Creativity, Deep Listening, Faith, Forgiveness, Good Purpose, Hope, Integrity, Kindness, Mercy, Patience, Respect, Tenacity, Understanding and the Gift of Love! 

#MotherAndDaughters
#MothersDayIsEveryDay

No comments: