Wednesday, February 3, 2021

My Advice to YOU...Follow Your Heart!


My Advice to YOU...Follow Your Heart!

Beautiful People, 

On planes, trains, buses & automobiles…

Through concrete deserts, sandy beaches, red dirt plains and mountain hills...

I have searched for the me I lost somewhere striving for the American Dream.

Or what I thought was the American Dream. 

I was attempting to discover my passion. I liked everything, loved nothing. 

As a romantic young woman in rebellion, I loved the wrong men. And then grew to be manipulative, loving no one…Not Even Myself.

I was searching for money, power and success. I wanted to be a successful marketing professional, to have my voice heard, to make a difference.  

And in many ways, I did and have!

I was so driven to make change in our society that in each and every instance, I met resistance with resistance and was prepared always to fight the good fight.  
And I did.

By normal standards in Pittsburgh, PA;  I was successful.  I owned my own business, worked hard to meet payroll weekly, helped clients achieve their marketing objectives, planned media tours, press conferences, wrote speeches & coordinated special events.

I lobbied for all the ‘right’ causesand some of the ‘wrong causes’, was know as a “brilliant rebel”, and drove my staff bananas by insisting that work was life’s number one priority. 

They called the office "Miss Mellie’s Plantation" and created a cartoon series. 

I laughed.  Oh how I laughed!

Pro-bono was my middle name but even with all my good community deeds, I was still a taskmaster.  Inside I Was Dying. 

I was tired of fighting and wanting to belong.

During this time my Mom was downsized after more than 27 years, then she went through two bouts of cancer.  I became a doting daughter walking around with fibroids and anemia that was so severe that life began slipping away.

Perhaps I enjoyed being a Martyr. At times though, the burden was too heavy.

Thinking a change would help, I prayed for financial security and less responsibility. God said okay.

Within weeks of my request, I closed my business and took a job at a major advertising agency.

The money was good. The transition was extremely difficult.
 
Still all was in Divine Order. A few months later I had major surgery.
 
Afterwards I had plenty of time to reflect. 

Plenty of time to evaluate how, when & why I had closed my heart.

I Began a New Journey!
 
Ultimately, the path I have now chosen allows me a new way of thinking about life, about Love.

Today I marvel at the toddler that gives me a smile or a hug and says “Hi, Miss Mellie Rainbow!”, the senior that shares her or his story,  the power of Love & Friendship and the True Potential of Our Human Collective. 

My Advice to YOU...

Breathe. Listen Deeply.  PRAY.  Say Thank You! 

And No Matter How Challenging...
Follow Your Heart!

Believe. Breathe. Live. Love.

Always, Melony 💖
aka Miss Mellie Rainbow 🎊

(c) excerpted from the book 
SEEKER DREAMER: Amazing, Brilliant, Compassionate You! by Melony McGant

Photo by Hakim Mutlaq

No comments: