Thursday, May 14, 2020

A Love Letter to My Mother, MOMBetty J. Tilman. #MothersDayIsEveryDay

 A Love Letter to My Mother, MOMBetty J. Tilman. 

MOM, I feel so privileged to have you as a Mother 
and to have journeyed with you in this lifetime. 
Looking back on this time on Earth, my life has 
been one of learning, adventure and more Joy 
than I thought imaginable.  

From the Dr. Seuss days of Green Eggs and Ham 
and the rhyming poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar 
to my rebellious teenage years where I sought solace
 in everything "Black" from  Ebony and Jet Magazine,
 the poetry of Langston Hughes and Sojourner Truth,
 the writing and filmmaking of Gordon Parks and the 
music of Roberta Flack,  James Brown, Grace Jones, 
Ashford and Simpson--- to my rocky  mistakes and 
disillusionment of young adulthood---You Exposed 
Me to the Best Life Had to Offer!  

Sometimes I was fearful.   You pushed and pushed 
and told me that I had a right to walk any path I 
choose in the World.   So often I felt that I was not
 good enough and unworthy of these great gifts.  
People whispered behind your back and made fun
 of me when I articulated with my extensive vocabulary.
   They said I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  

Looking back, it was funny how some of the relatives
 and community associates or so called friends looked
 for ways to undermine your authority and convince 
me to go right when I should have gone left.  

What I thought I wanted was to be "normal".  I didn't
 understand that being different and unique was a
 Great Gift.  Though I tried to run away from all you
 had taught me, it was so imprinted in my mind and
 my heart and my Soul that the further I ran, the 
closer I came to it.     

I Thank You for a first class education, for the square
 dancing and swimming at the YWCA, ballet and drama
 at the Pittsburgh Playhouse, camp in Maine at Blueberry
 Cove and studying musical instruments like the violin
 and recorder.  I never did master either but at least I 
love music!  

I've become a person who loves people of different cultures.  Travel is like eating chocolate and I honor all Faith traditions 
and continue to explore the Divine Essence of Mother
FatherG-D through Love. 

I look at myself now and know that I am a product of Your
 Magnificent Efforts!    Thank You for All You have done 
for me.  Your Goodness inspires me.  Your toughness 
helped me learn how to survive in a World that would
 say "Who do you think You Are??",  
Instead of "How Can I Help?".  

I Could Go On Forever ….Thank You. Thank You. 
Thank YOU!  

I Love YOU Into Eternity 
MOMBetty J. Tilman!

I Honor YOU and All MOTHERS EVERYDAY! 

Love, Melony ๐ŸŒ
aka Miss Mellie Rainbow ๐ŸŽŠ

Peace Is Possible through Compassion, Cooperation, 
Courage, Creativity, Deep Listening, Faith, Forgiveness,
 Good Purpose, Hope, Integrity, Kindness, Mercy, Patience,
 Respect, Tenacity, Understanding and the Gift of Love! 

Photo,TBT 1971 MOMBetty and Melony Shadyside, 
Pittsburgh, PA...

#MotherAndDaughters
#MothersDayIsEveryDay

No comments: