Monday, February 4, 2019

Melony's Wisdom Monday: My Advice to YOU...Follow Your Heart!

Melony's Wisdom Monday: My Advice to YOU...Follow Your Heart!

Beautiful People, 

On planes, trains, buses & automobiles…

Through concrete deserts, sandy beaches, red dirt plains and mountain hills...
I have searched for the me I lost somewhere striving for the American Dream.
Or what I thought was the American Dream. 

I was attempting to discover my passion. I liked everything, loved nothing. 

As a romantic young woman in rebellion, I loved the wrong men.
And then grew to be manipulative
loving no one…Not Even Myself.

I was searching for money, power and success. I wanted to be a successful marketing professional, to have my voice heard, to make a difference.  

And in many ways, I did and have!

I was so driven to make change in our society that in each and every instance, I met resistance with resistance and was prepared always to fight the good fight.  
And I did.

By normal standards in Pittsburgh, PA;  I was successful.  I owned my own business, worked hard to meet payroll weekly, helped clients achieve their marketing objectives, planned media tours, press conferences, wrote speeches & coordinated special events.

I lobbied for all the ‘right’ causes and some of the ‘wrong causes’, was know as a “brilliant rebel”, and drove my staff bananas by insisting that work was life’s number one priority. 

They called the office "Miss Mellie’s Plantation" and created a cartoon series. 

I laughed.  Oh how I laughed!

Pro-bono was my middle name but even with all my good community deeds, I was still a taskmaster.  Inside I Was Dying. I was tired of fighting and wanting to belong.

During this time my Mom was downsized after more than 27 years, then she went through two bouts of cancer. I became a doting daughter walking around with fibroids and anemia that was so severe that life began slipping away.

Perhaps I enjoyed being a Martyr. At times though, the burden was too heavy.

Thinking a change would help, I prayed for financial security and less responsibility. God said okay.

Within weeks of my request, I closed my business and took a job at a major advertising agency.  The money was good. The transition was extremely difficult. Still all was in Divine Order. A few months later I had major surgery.
Afterwards I had plenty of time to reflect. Plenty of time to evaluate how, when & why I had closed my heart.

I Began a New Journey!
Ultimately, the path I have now chosen allows me a new way of thinking about life, about Love.

Today I marvel at the toddler that gives me a smile or a hug and says “Hi, Miss Mellie Rainbow!”, the senior that shares her or his story, the power of Love & Friendship and the True Potential of Our Human Collective. 

My Advice to YOU...

Breathe. Listen Deeply.  Say Thank You! And No Matter How Challenging...
Follow Your Heart!

Live & Love!

Always, Melony 

(c) excerpted from the book 
SEEKER DREAMER: Amazing, Brilliant, Compassionate You!

Photo by Hakim Mutlaq




No comments: