Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Beautiful Genius: Dr. Vernell Audrey Watson Lillie!

Beautiful Genius: Dr. Vernell Audrey Watson Lillie!

Beautiful People, 

One of the people that many of us know and Love is Dr. Vernell A. Lillie.  A passionate educator and theatre impressario, she has helped, nurtured and supported countless people as they pursued their dreams.  

Her students have gone on to be leaders in education and the arts. She has supported community initiatives and opened doors so that many could have experiences beyond their imaginations.  Many of us have learned from her, fought with her and Benefitted from her Generosity!

Her daughters, Charise Lillie, Esq. and Dr. Marsha (Hisani) Lillie Blanton have lovingly adjusted to a Mother who spoke her mind, demanded excellence and insisted that community was family. 

 While in Washington  DC, yesterday  I visited the Legendary Founder of the KUNTU REPERTORY THEATRE,  Dr. Vernell Audrey Watson Lillie and gave her a #GeniusIsCommon T-shirt and a copy of my novel,  SUNSHINE & OLIVIER (Though she had the book already, she insisted that she needed another copy and made me promise to send her the draft of the next book in that series).  

Like many other family members Dr. Lillie has Alzheimer's but she has retained many of her old memories and has challenges with the short term memory. 

She was so happy to see me and introduced by name and told them that I was the daughter of her dear friend Betty J. Tilman, and an important writer.  

Dr. Lillie and I talked about old times. I reminded her that when I took Psychodrama class at the University of Pittsburgh. August Wilson was in that class.  Though it was in May and June of 1978, he wore an old beige leather jacket that was too heavy for the season.  At least I thought so!  Shortly after that he left Pittsburgh and went to Minneapolis, where he met Lloyd Richards. 

Dr. Lillie spoke highly of August Wilson, Rob Penny, the KUNTU Writers Workshop, Woodie King, Jr. Ruth Brown, Debbie Allen, Phylicia Rashad and many others. 

I reminded Dr. Lillie that she was extremely tough on me in that Psychodrama class at Pitt.  You see, I was a group leader and did all the work but she gave my other classmates an A and gave me a B+.  I asked her why she did that.  "Cause You Were a Big Bullshitter and Would Not Tell Your Real Story!" And we laughed and laughed because I knew what she said was true. 

And that was how the afternoon went. We laughed. She would tell me what I needed to do and I would tell her my plans which did not necessarily include her instructions!   And We Laughed!

I really want to encourage All of You to reach out to Dr. Lillie!  Someone who worked at Sunrise Living referred to her as the Queen.  And that truly describes Dr. Vernell Audrey Watson Lillie perfectly! She Is the Queen we Love and enjoys "Holding Court".  Smile!

Please Feel Free to Visit and Send Your Notes or Cards.  You may want to call before you go to make sure it is a good time for a Visit (202) 966-8020.

Dr. Vernell A. Lillie 

Sunrise Senior Living Center
5111 Connecticut Ave, N.W. 
Washington,  DC 20008

I have included a Video Salute from the WOW WOMEN Event that the Good Neighbor Project Committee ( GNPC, founded by Betty J. Tilman) sponsored.  ChiChi Anyanwu (a former student and KUNTU Member and Lawrence Evans from the National Black Theatre Festival helped me get the videos.  Walt Hales edited and created the Final Video Salute for GNPC. 

Always, Melony 


No comments: